Remodeler of Merit Award (ROMA)
The Remodeler of Merit Awards (ROMA) honor our remodeler members for quality and value in remodeling projects that range from baths, kitchens and additions to whole-house remodels. Professional remodelers judge their peers on creativity in meeting the unique challenges of remodeling, and in successfully meeting the needs, desires, and budgets of their clients.
All who enter are encouraged to attend the Building Industry Gala (BIG) Night in October at Mystic Lake Center. You'll be able to accept your award alongside all of our other big winners, in front of the entire BATC-Housing First Minnesota membership.
Encourage your Associate Partners to enter the Trillium Awards
Questions? Contact Nicole Coon at 651-697-7571 or Nicole@BATC.org.
ENTER A ROMA
All remodelers in good standing with BATC-Housing First Minnesota are eligible to enter. Any structural improvement project to home and surrounding property completed since January 1, 2016. Projects that have previously been submitted but did not receive a ROMA are eligible to enter. There is no limit to the number of categories into which a remodeling project can be entered.
Use the fair market value of your project to determine the appropriate sub-category for your entry. No categories will be cancelled. All will be judged as long as there is one entry.
- Addition: Under $300,000
- Addition: $300,000 and Over
- Bathroom: Under $60,000
- Bathroom: $60,000 and Over
- Interior: Under $200,000
- Interior: $200,000 and Over
- Kitchen: Under $65,000
- Kitchen: $65,000 Up to $115,000
- Kitchen: $115,000 and Over
- Lower Level: Under $125,000
- Lower Level: $125,000 and Over
- Outdoor Living
- Total House: Under $400,000
- Total House: $400,000 up to $800,000
- Total House: $800,000 and Over
Addition: Enlarging a house by adding a new, enclosed space such as a bedroom/bath wing, a family room, or an eating area. Second story includes all vertical construction above the first story. This includes dormers.
Bathroom: Any remodeling project that encompasses the bath such as adding a bath, replacing old fixtures, resurfacing walls and floors, adding storage and counter space, enlarging the bath with bump-out or space from an adjoining room.
Interior: All improvements within the confines of an existing house excluding the kitchen and bathroom. Examples might be converting an unused attic into a family room, resurfacing walls and floors, adding architectural details such as alcoves or bays, dividing one large room into two, or removing partitions to combine small rooms into one large space. Wine room, safe room, or any other interior area would fall under the interior category.
Kitchen: Any kitchen remodeling project designed to improve traffic flow, storage aesthetics, and/or efficiency. Examples include installing new cabinets, counter or flooring, constructing an island, adding a planning center or an eating area.
Lower Level (Basement): Finished space.
Outdoor Living: Porches, patios, garages, car showroom, pool house, etc.
Special: Includes all entries that do not fit into other categories. For example, detail components (fireplace, windows, etc.) commercial, exterior façade, etc.
Total House: Any remodeling project that involves three or more of the above divisions and must retain 20% of the original structure. Entry form will inquire if original foundation was used.
Judges will rate the entry on a scale of 1 to ten with ten being the highest in the areas below. An entry will receive a maximum of 40 points per judge.
Judges will use the following as their guide:
- Poor / 1-3 points
- Satisfactory / 4-6 points
- Above average / 7-9 points
- Excellent / 10 points
Client Goals - How were the clients goals met?
Challenges - That had to be overcome- project difficulty.
Solution - Creativity to achieve the solution.
Overall Impression of the entry.
The highest scoring entry in a category will receive the ROMA as long as it receives at least 75% of points. In the instance of a tie, the tie-breaker will be the overall impression score.
No runner-up awards will be given.
Judges will be Remodeler Council members of the Home Builders Association of the Sioux Empire. There will be 3-5 judges per category.
The entry fee is $175 per entry.
Late materials (including adding or changing photos) will disqualify your entry from the competition without refund of the entry fee. No refunds after the preregistration/entry date.
1. Enter and pay for your entries by June 14, 2019 at batcawards.com.
- Payment is required at the time of entry
- Information required for material upload is listed below.
2. If you plan to attend the Building Industry Gala (BIG) Night, register for that event separately. Registration for the BIG Night will open August 9, 2019.
Entry Information Needed
(Due June 14)
• Company Name*
• Company Address*
• Person Submitting*
• First Name*
• Last Name*
• Project Category*
• Description for Special (applicable for ‘special’ only)
• Project Price*
Project price must include all materials, labor, change orders, subcontract costs, and other costs relating to the project, whether or not supplied by the contractor. The price must be a fair market value and not a discounted price offered to friends and family.
• Number of Square Feet*
• Street Address at which the entry is located*
• City in which the entry is located*
• State in which the entry is located*
• Zip Code in which the entry is located*
• Was the original foundation used?* (applicable for Total House only) Yes or No
• Is this a Teardown?* (applicable for Total House only) Yes or No
Please address client’s goals, challenges to overcome, and
the solutions. Additionally, consider if an outside consultant
was used and the remodeler’s role in the project.
Include a brief history of the project, noting the client’s reasons for remodeling their home and their goals for the project. You may also want to include other considerations like outside consultants on the job (architect, accessibility specialist, etc.).
Note the challenges this project presented. These can include design concerns, construction issues, even client’s special needs.
Explain how each problem was overcome and why this specific approach was used. Point out any noteworthy details in the design, construction or process.
Project Floor Plans
Please include a plan showing before the project started and then the completed project. The judges will be supplied with the full PDF file. File upload fields can have a maximum attachment of 100MB. Acceptable file types include .jpg, .tif, .pdf, .gif, .png. If in doubt, please contact us.
In the instance of a Total House project, one before and one after floor plan are required, but up to two before and two after floor plans may be submitted. In the instance of any other category, one before and one after floor plan are optional but not required.
• Before Floor Plan #1
• After Floor Plan #1
• Before Floor Plan #2 (applicable for Total House only)
• After Floor Plan #2 (applicable for Total House only)
Please submit before and after photos in pairs from the same viewpoint if possible, as that is how the photos will flow for the judges’ presentation. Maximum 200 characters per photo description. File upload fields can have a maximum attachment of 100MB. Acceptable file types include .jpg, .tif, .pdf, .gif, .png. If in doubt, please contact us. Photo collage or captioned images are not allowed.
In the instance of the Total House category, one before and one after photo are required. Up to five before photos may be used and up to 10 after photos are allowed. In the instance of any other category, one before and one after photo are required. Up to three before photos may be used and up to eight after photos are allowed.
• Before Photo #1*
• Before Photo #1 Description
• After Photo #1*
• After Photo #1 Description
• Before Photo #2
• Before Photo #2 Description
• After Photo #2
• After Photo #2 Description
• Before Photo #3
• Before Photo #3 Description
• After Photo #3
• After Photo #3 Description
• Before Photo #4 (applicable for Total House only)
• Before Photo #4 Description (applicable for Total House only)
• After Photo #4
• After Photo #4 Description
• Before Photo #5 (applicable for Total House only)
• Before Photo #5 Description (applicable for Total House only)
• After Photo #5
• After Photo #5 Description
• After Photo #6
• After Photo #6 Description
• After Photo #7
• After Photo #7 Description
• After Photo #8
• After Photo #8 Description
• After Photo #9 (applicable for Total House only)
• After Photo #9 Description (applicable for Total House only)
• After Photo #10 (applicable for Total House only)
• After Photo #10 Description (applicable for Total House only)
Client Letter of Recommendation
Feel free to upload a letter of recommendation by your client. File upload fields can have a maximum attachment of 100MB. Acceptable file types include .jpg, .tif, .pdf, .gif, .png If in doubt, please contact us.
• Client Letter Upload
Right to Use Photographs
By submitting a project, you, the entrant, warrant that you have permission from the homeowner and photographer to use and share project images and photographs. We seek high-resolution photographs as they may be published in industry magazines and used for BATC-Housing First Minnesota promotions.
• I agree*
If photographer credit must accompany photos, please provide the name of the photographer as required for permission.
• Photographer Name